Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Breaking Down Walls by Painting Them Blue

Today, like every day here so far, has been special in it's own way because of the obstacles we've broken down by becoming more familiar with the community of Barrio Blanco. The obstacles I'm mainly talking about of course arise from the language barrier with the community. Even as someone who has spoken Spanish since I was five, I have found it difficult to communicate solely with spoken word, because I can't respond with the same rhythm as members of the community use to speak to me. Today however, I really felt a difference. I don't know if it was that I'm getting more comfortable with the community or if the community is more comfortable with our group as a whole. I'm going to say it's both. Not that painting hasn't been fun these past two days, but today I really started talking to and joking around with some of the kids that were painting with us, and the two and a half hours we painted absolutely flew by. Especially when one of the boys decided to play a prank on me by hiding his chicken behind his back and surprising me by shoving it in my face. That may sound sarcastic, but I love pranks and thought it was hysterical. It also gave me something to joke about with the kids whenever I saw them throughout the day.
I also have noticed the members of group that aren't necessarily that comfortable with Spanish, really trying to immerse themselves and learn the language in simple phrases and words. It's been really interesting for me to observe those members of the group communicate with the kids because it has to be on a non-verbal level. You really have to get creative sometimes, but usually simple gestures do the trick. It's much easier for me to communicate with the community because I can speak Spanish, but it's really inspiring to be around my friends who are so eager to learn the language and have really picked up an insane amount. I couldn't be any happier to be a part of this group and here in this community.
In the afternoon, we got to do an activity with the older kids in the Young Stars program that combined my three favorite things, so as you can imagine, I was over the moon. We combined Theatre, Spanish, and working with kids, in one by beginning to work on a small production within the class of "Little Red Riding Hood" or "La Caperucita Roja." The most wonderful part about working for the two and a half hours on this project was how excited all of the kids were about it, from the kids who are going to be the main characters, to the kids who are going to be the trees of the forest, to the kids who were making the costumes and helping design and paint the set. It was absolutely beautiful. I hope that their families come out on Thursday to see the show, especially because none of these kids have really done anything like this before and it's bound to be the most special. The joy these kids had while creating the world of the play was contagious and has carried me through the rest of the day, regardless of how exhausted I am.
I can't wait for Thursday!!

MUCHOS BESOS XOXOXOOOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment