Thursday, March 21, 2013

I don't want to go home!!

This trip has gone by so much faster than I wanted it to. It is already Thursday night and I cannot even come to terms with myself returning home in two days. The community we have been working in (Barrio Blanco) has had such a huge impact on my life and how I view the world. Yesterday was my first time assisting in an ESL class consisting of mostly adults, seeing the smiles on their faces when learning with different activities really brought a smile to my face.

Today was a very emotional day for most of us, because it was our last day working within the barrio and seeing the people that we have all connected with on a personal level. The final project that I worked on within the school, was a production of little red riding hood. This was part of a new program called Young Stars, this was the first time that most of these children have ever participated in a theater production. The fact that everything came together in two days and seeing the excitement in the children's faces when performing was so uplifting. We invited people within the barrio to watch and the variety of people that attended really showed the dedication that the people have to their community.


When we said our final goodbyes and were leaving the barrio, a group of people from the community came out and cheered for us saying thank you for all of our work. That really touched me to see the impact that we had on the community and to see how we all learned things from each other, we basically formed one unit. It was so hard for me to leave the kids and this community, I know for a fact that I want to try and come back to see their progress and possibly volunteer again.  This was honestly the best trip I have ever been on!!!

-Kaylin

No comments:

Post a Comment