Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wide Smiles and Blue Walls

Hey everyone!

After getting in last night at about a quarter after 11 and going to sleep at about 1am, we woke up at 7:45 ready to get to work. First thing, we ate a wonderful breakfast with some delicious coffee on the side (likely to be my favorite time of the day).

Then, after a quick introduction to the leaders of the Dream Project, we went to our work site to see the buildings will be working on as well as the wonderful people in the community of Barrio Blanco. We were welcomed with open arms by the community and so I'm ready to help out and see our projects through to the end.

I think my favorite moment of the day was when I was talking with one of the Dream Project organizers about the history of Haiti and the Dominican Republic (the two countries share the island of Hispaniola). He told me that the community of Barrio Blanco has a number of Haitian people living there, but it is still a majority Dominican community. Some people in Barrio Blanco speak Spanish, Haitian Kreyòl, and English helping to bridge the gap in culture between the two groups. I was very glad to see this history first-hand, and speak in a mixture of French, Spanish and the two things that I know how to say in Kreyòl with a man that helped us paint a wall.

My favorite thing so far has been playing beach soccer with the children of Barrio Blanco. Although I'm rubbish at soccer, I enjoyed running around kicking a ball (getting hit in the face included) on a gorgeous beach. Oh, and second favorite was playing catch with another child during some more free time, only to be abandoned by him for ice cream. To be fair, I would've picked the ice cream over me too.

Also, now I know how to make really awesome green plantains. Coming soon to a kitchen near me!

No comments:

Post a Comment